Monday, September 18, 2017

Small Napoleonic Armies in 28mm: Austrian Army Augmented & Completed

In my last post, I indicated that my Austrian Army was completed. However, I came across some additional figures that I didn't send off to be painted. I assembled/painted (Victrix Austrians) them as Hungarians (see below). 



So now, my Austrian Army organized for Horse, Foot, & Guns (HFG) contains the following:

2 x Armeekorps, each comprised of:

8 x Muskets (fusiliers)
1 x Inferior Light Infantry (Grenz)
1 x Artillery
2 x Light Cavalry (Uhlans & Hussars)
1 x CP (General)

I now have a third, reserve Armeekorps comprised of:

4 x Bayonets (Hungarian fusiliers)
1 x Inferior Light Infantry (Grenz)
5 x Elite Bayonets (massed/converged Grenadiers)
2 x Elite Marksmen (Jagers)
1 x CP (General)

Each Armeekorps contains 12 elements and a general, for a total of 39 elements, not unlike a BBDBA army in size. The corps structure above is similar to that found in the HFG rulebook for 1805 Austria. In the future, I will add a few dragoon/chevaux-legers, and cuirassiers. The force I have allows for reasonable "what-if" encounters between Mack's army & Napoleon's army in Bavaria. It also gives me enough troops to do Caldiero (Archduke Charles vs Massena in Northern Italy) and the Marengo campaign. The battle of Hohenlinden (Moreau vs Kray) in 1800 is also a possibility.

I am considering rating Hungarian infantry elements as Bayonets, instead of as Muskets in HFG. Christopher Duffy remarks in his book "The Army of Maria Theresa" that the Hungarian regiments of the Austrian army were particularly known for their aggressiveness. Phil Barker already rates the Hungarians during the 7 Years War as Bayonets, while the rest of the Austrian infantry are Muskets. I tend to think that the Hungarians hadn't changed much during 1800-1805, although in HFG, P. Barker makes all Austrian infantry "Muskets." I would be interested in what others think.

My French infantry & artillery are still in the early process of painting at the painters. I've also started a small Russian force (about 20 elements) that I am leisurely painting myself for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment