Friday, March 13, 2020

Preparing to Play Blucher

My friend Bob & I are planning to play the introductory scenario for Blucher called "Across the Danube." I have been preparing some units for the game. The last time we played (over a year ago) we used a die to track losses in the game for each unit. I wondered at the time if there weren't a better way of tracking casualties & wanted to avoid using a roster system, if possible.

I came up with making labels for the Blucher units using MS-Excel that would affix at the rear of the stands. The labels are similar to the unit cards used in Blucher, and has all the information needed to play the game. I made the labels an olive green color so they would blend into the game-mat we would be using. The labels contain the nationality, unit name, traits, corps ID, elan, and movement rates on the label. Elan losses would be marked on the label with a pencil. We will see how this works.

I also decided we would use 2 stands of infantry to represent an infantry brigade instead of one. This meant I would need more stands of infantry to make brigades, but the units would have a better appearance. I instead of using a marker to indicate if a unit is "prepared" or not (prepared includes forming square), the rear stand of a 2 stand infantry brigade could simply be turned around facing the opposite direction like a unit in all-around defense to indicate "prepared."

 




1 comment: